Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Help is needed now

Water has begun to recede in some areas, in others water is still 6-7 feet in depth. Water conservation has been key the past few days, even in counties that were not as flooded as Nashville. Some residents have begun clean up, which is a massive undertaking. On the news last night I saw people literary ripping the walls out of their homes, carpet removed, every stick of furniture heaped up their yards in an effort to dry it out.
In Clarksville the damage on Riverside Dr. and surrounding neighborhoods is extensive. For me that is strangest part to watch because I used to work over there at Convergy's, which is located next door to the Kicker's night club. It's strange to see the Wendy's, the tire shop, the River Walk, and all the other businesses under water. When I worked in that area there had been sever storms that had flooded the River Walk and made driving on the road beside it a bit dodgy, but there has never been anything this bad as far as I can remember. Now I did hope that I would get a call saying that I couldn't go in for my shift because the river has taken it's vengeance out on my place of work, I mean really who hasn't hoped that after a bad day?
What is needed now to help recover what was lost is donations. Yep, money and time. I myself am donating baby clothes and a few baby items that I have left over from when my boys were little. I have an extra set of booster seats also that I am going to donate. They need tools for clean up, like rubber gloves, hand sanitizer, bottled water, food, clothing, diapers, baby formula, bedding, rakes, shovels, water pumps, wet vacuums, buckets and money. If your reading this and want to help Middle Tennessee recover and help people who have NOTHING left please go to http://www.cfmt.org/index.php, which is the Community foundation for Middle Tennessee. Also all Kroger's across Middle Tennessee are taking donations of NON-PERISHABLE GOODS. Help is needed now, next week and the weeks after that to ensure that people can regroup their lives and hopefully put this tragic event behind us. Please help!
Here are some photos of the flood.
This is a shot of Downtown Nashville


This is the Gaylord Opryland Resort Hotel, a few wings of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment