Monday, January 31, 2011

Spring Reading

A new year equals a new look for The Feathered Quill. I also added a new feature for all of my lovely readers, now it's easy-peasy to share what you read on my blog on your Facebook & other sites!

I have been thinking about my spring reading list, and of course my up coming book store run. Being pregnant, very much so, makes me realize that come May I will not be able to read as much as I would like. In short my selections need to be precise, and this is also true for ANYONE who is on a budget, and these days who isn't? Here are a few books I am truly excited about reading.


The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Pötzsch


First published in Germany in 2008 as "Die Henkerstochter" this book has been quite popular there & now it has been translated to English by Lee Chadeayne! It's set in the mid-1600's in Schongau, a small Bavarian town, Jakob Kuisil is asked to discover if an ominous tattoo found on a dying boy means if witchcraft has come to their small town. Is the midwife to blame or someone else?
Keep in mind this is set in the time period when witchcraft was a SERIOUS offense, and that they used ANY means possible to extract a confession. What makes this book more than simple fiction is that the author Oliver Pötzsch is a descendant of the real-life Kuisl family, but he has clearly stated that this work uses his for bearer's name but is strictly fiction. I am sure this book will be full of plot twists & turns and will be a great read for historical fiction readers.

The Hangman's Daughter is available for purchase at book stores & on Amazon.com, there is a Kindle edition and paperback.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P9XMFI/ref=s9_ri_bw_fi1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-9&pf_rd_r=00VQACBT9WK9MD5XC6RD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1279395682&pf_rd_i=283155


A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

This book is set to be released on February 8, 2011 nation wide. Diana Bishop is a Yale historian who happens to also be a witch who discovers an enchanted manuscript that attracts the attention of Matthew Clairmont who is a 1,500 year old vampire. Due to the manuscript her life is turned upside down thanks to an assortment of demons, witches and vampires who all want the manuscript. She turns to Matthew for aide, and their research raises questions about the race of the undead and their romance raises centuries-old enmities.
This book may be able to fill in the publishing gap for those fans of Charlaine Harris, but it still promises to be a great read!
This title is available for pre-order, and will be sold in hardcover, audio book & kindle editions via Amazon.com, below is the link.
http://www.amazon.com/Discovery-Witches-Novel-Deborah-Harkness/dp/0670022411/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296488198&sr=1-1


I hope these two books will get you through the winter hump and into spring when warmer weather will beckon us all to explore the world outside. I am ready for warm weather, flip flops and sun screen! I am sick of snow, freezing toes, and mud. I say bring on the sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment