Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Purse

The Holiday season is upon us, again. It's funny how just when you recover from last years holiday crap another one is here sucking you dry again. I am not a Scrooge, I've seen several of the movies and I am nothing like that old miser. I love Christmas actually. The lights, the cheery songs, the laughter of family, who could ask for more?

Sadly these days people just are not satisfied with a warm hug and good meal. You actually have to purchase stuff with your hard earned money. This is what gets me, you put a whole heap of thought and consideration into a gift & they act all grateful. Ask them 6 months after Christmas what they got and I bet half of them can't remember what they got.

Me personally I remember. To me I am impressed that someone cared enough to even think of spending their livelihood on me instead of buying groceries or paying a bill. That is truly special. The gift that made me smile, and still does, is the purse my dad gave me. He's a 51 year old tool & die engineer who is an avid coon hunter, huntsman, fisher, and 6 days out of the week is covered in grease for at least 10 hours a day. He's a manly man and he went into an upscale shop & bought me a purple & silver zebra stripped purse with a giraffe wallet. I could just see him stomping into the shop in his heavy duty steel toed boots with a smear of black engine grease on his forehead looking at all the purses and bags. That is priceless.

So this year instead of buying someone junk that they will forget about get them something that will stick in their memory and their heart. It doesn't have to be expensive or the latest whatever. If you have a friend that always wanted to go to Paris get them a mouse pad with some Paris sights on it, or if they have a child a gift card to a movie & the promise of a sitter would be perfect. Are they an avid runner maybe they could use some new tunes to run to, a burnt CD would be great. Simple things make the best gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment