Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Hand Written Notes


I did not post yesterday due to pain in my shoulder and arm. Somewhere between jumping in a bouncy house for a birthday party we hosted, a slumber party and rolling up the bouncy house I managed to injure myself. Today, or at least this morning, my arm and shoulder are feeling much improved. Me and my husband watched "Lost" episodes of season 2 last night, so it is possible that the island healed me.

I had a very uplifting day yesterday. I received a card in the MAIL from my best friend who just moved to a new place of residence about an hour away from me. Almost for the past year she has lived right down the road from me so I could "pop" in whenever I was around. I do miss being able to do that, but I realise that she is only a phone call away.

When I read the card I smiled, I laughed and I was in shock over the fact that she managed to mail something, which is not her strong point. It made me feel loved and appreciated even though she is 100 miles away. That is the power of the written word.

I try to mail my family and friends notes via the mail, a simple card or a copy of a few PICS I took when I last saw them with a quick note attached is all it takes to make some one's day go better. When was the last time you received a note, a personal note, in the mail, not by E-Mail, but by snail mail?

In this age of PC's and screens everywhere in our lives we have a tendency to forget that a hand written note is lovely. It expresses your feelings much more than a precisely typed letter sent by E-Mail ever could. Not only does a hand written letter show that you took the time to do something just for this person, but it also shows that you were thinking about the person while at the store picking out the perfect card, or licking the stamp, and addressing the envelope. It shows more emotion than a send button ever could hope to.

I know that most men are not up to sending a heartfelt letter, a funny card or even a quick note saying thank you will work. People loved to know that they are appreciated, and it will also help you HONE those writing skills. The hardest note I have ever had to write was a thank you note for a pair of Hanes socks. That is tricky, how does one make a package of socks sound like the most appreciated gift given in the history of the human race? That takes skill.

This is my challenge to you my beloved readers, send at least one person a hand written note this week. It can be left under a windshield wiper, mailed, stuck in a lunch box, left on the bathroom mirror. It doesn't matter how it gets to the person, but make sure it is handwritten. No E-Mail, no texting, no twittering. It will make someone you love feel special that day.

1 comment: