Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Fantasy Writing Workshop

I hope that everyone had a good holiday yesterday and reflected some on Martin Luther King, Jr's message that he strove so hard to make known and a part of life for everyone. I spent the day cleaning, I know it's not quite what he wanted to inspire but all the same I did manage to get my son's room clean and organized. It only took me 6 hours to do so. They are messy boys.

This is my second post about conventions/workshops. Today I am covering the Fantasy Writing Workshop hosted by Odyssey. This year the workshop will be held from June 7- July 16 2010 at Saint Anselm College in Manchester, New Hampshire. The workshop's early bird registration deadline is JANUARY 30, 2010 and regular dead line for registration is April 8, 2010.

I know that usually workshops are held over a weekend, but this one is a six week event. Every year the people that complete the workshop are called "graduates" and college credits are available upon request. This workshop is almost like summer school because you attend "class" 5 days a week for 4 hours in the morning and the rest of the time of each day is used for writing, critique of work and the completion of "homework".

This workshop is intense. If you want to attend this workshop you need to be prepared to hear about your weaknesses as a writer and be able to write new material while there, that includes short stories and novel chapters. I'm not going to lie, but this workshop is expensive, and you may be declined depending upon your application. I would recommend you THROUGHLY read all the info on this workshop before submitting an application. For more information on this workshop their web-site is http://www.sff.net/Odyssey/

No comments:

Post a Comment