Wednesday, January 13, 2010

'Tis the season to prepare!

Workshop and conference time is nearly upon us. For writers this is a wonderful season to connect with and meet other writers. A workshop typically is one-two days and may concentrate one topic or cover several topics. Usually these topics are described in the flyer, or on the web site. Workshops can cover writing style, how to write a specif genre, and many other things. A convention is a large meeting of authors, agents, publishers, and booksellers. Pretty much anyone that has a job in publishing/writing can attend. Conventions can last a few days to a week. They usually have panels for speaking, mini-workshops, meet and greets and of course the chance to listen to authors speak about whatever.

Nearly all conventions and workshops require that you register in ADVANCE, and all have varying costs for registration. Read the information that is posted about the event carefully. Hotel accommodations may or may not included as well as food and always check to see if a type of transport is provided. The more you know about an event the better prepared you are and easier it is to have fun!

If you are feeling stressed relax! You will be fine. This is a chance for you to meet new people, gain some experience, and to learn some interesting things while attending your workshop or convention. If you are feeling a bit shy and are wondering if you can drag a friend along feel free to! When I attended my first workshop I was so very nervous, and so I dragged my best friend with me. I did cover her expenses because I rock, but it was an eye opener for her as well. She is a college student and the workshop also gave her some insight into writing those pesky essays and papers! If you are attending a workshop at a college make sure to check if you can get credits for it towards college or school. Many do credit hours for attending!

Before you commit yourself to a weekend long workshop hosted by an author that you are unfamiliar with read some of their works before you commit yourself to attending. I did this and I discovered a wonderful story by Susan Gregg Gilmore and I was eager to meet her. It was a lifetime experience, and it did boost me up. Not every workshop that you will attend will work out like mine did, but it was a learning experience that I will always cherish.

I will be adding some new links to my sidewalk on the left for some conferences, workshops, and other helpful places on-line. Please check these out and some of my favorites I will be highlighting next week in my posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment