Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Parent Teacher conferences


For us that have kids on the nine-week block system, meaning that instead of every six weeks like most schools we get report cards every nine weeks, the time for parent-teacher conferences are here. There is no need to panic!

It's just a conference! There is no need to flash back to when you were in grade school and the principal just summoned you to the Lair of Doom, a.k.a their office. Trust me,I understand that fear, I have been there many times myself, and this is coming from a girl that was in After School Detention so much in High School that I had a special reserved desk. Yeah, I was a bit of a troublemaker. We are adults now, all grown up, and they cannot bring you into the office and make you feel like they are going to call your parents because you forgot to sign a form or because you sent your child a peanut butter sandwich for lunch when three students in the class have nut allergies.

Since we are adults you would think that the playing field would be even. Your an adult, the teachers and staff are adults, your a parent and most of them are parents themselves. Not the case! I have had my fair share of feelings of frustration because the teacher thought poorly of me. I do not care if they dislike my bumper sticker or the fact that I let my child eat ice cream every single day for lunch period. I am here for my CHILD, I am his/her main promoter! I am here to rally them to success when they are failing otherwise.


These ill feelings can come from the strangest of places. I had one teacher who informed me that I was a "Young" mother and that she understood if I felt like I couldn't handle my "baby" being in kindergarten. I handled it just fine, and so did he did until she turned out to be crazier than a bat. I have realized that teachers are just like us, they are people! Yep, who could of guessed that?

We all know that they have received a higher education at college and that they are trained to deal with children and the issues that children have. What the colleges do NOT teach is how to communicate with parents. That is where us the parents have to step up.


The easiest thing to do if you are having ANY issue is to speak to the teacher. Call them, e-mail them, send a note, or make an appointment to visit with them. I promise that they are ready for some sort of communication from you, that is part of their job. If your little one is being reluctant to go to class talk to the teacher! Find out if their is another child in class that your child does not get along with, or if they are struggling with a subject the are doing in class. You know your child, you know what he/she is comfortable with, advise the teacher of your child's personal likes and dislikes. Is your child a bit of a neat freak and does not care for finger painting? Let them know! If your child can be comfortable they will do much better in class.

I know that a lot of children and teachers simply do not mesh well. I know this because I have been there. If your child is doing poorly in school and your communications with the teacher has not gotten to the bottom of the issue simply spend a day with your child in school. It doesn't matter if the teacher is a P.E. teacher, or if they are having issues in the lunch room, go with them. The school cannot forbid you to join your child for library time, gym or lunch or spending the entire day with them. I recommend it actually. If they are having a special learning unit in gym, like a skating unit go to gym and skate with your child. You will have fun, your child will be thrilled that you went and you will get to see how the teachers conduct class and you will also get to meet their friends.

If your child and the teacher simply is not a good combination you can request a different teacher as long as you make the request early in the year or if there are signs of MENTAL or PHYSICAL abuse. You may have to meet with the principal to achieve this, but hey, who is scared of the principal?

The parent-teacher conferences are to let you the parent know how your child is doing in class, and to give you the opportunity to ask the teacher any questions. A lot of the time not only are the child's main homeroom teacher there for the conference, but also the gym, art, music and computer lab teachers are there. You can talk to them also, check out the projects your child has done and check to see if they have a classroom wish list for items they need for future projects.

To prepare yourself make a list of things you want to discuss, but keep it simple. Most conferences allot only 15 minutes per child. If you feel like there is more you need discuss while at the conference arrange a meeting. I try to ask if my child has improved in anything since the beginning of the year (I love to praise my child), second I ask if my child is having any difficulties with any subjects (math, reading, handwriting, spelling, class room behavior, etc. If your child struggles with paying attention at home or finishing tasks at home ask to see if they are having the same issue at school, and if they are not ask the teacher what promotes they are giving your child that is different from what you are doing at home.

Parent-Teacher conferences are not to be feared. Explain to your child that they are welcome to come with you, and that you are going to speak to their teacher about how brilliant they are. Children LOVE praise, make sure you learn something good so that you can praise them.

As far as the teacher is concerned they only want to discuss your child. They do not want to hear about how plastered you got last weekend because you got a raise. They do not want to become your best friend. They would like to know when any MAJOR changes in your home take place. If you are having a baby and your child is having issues dealing with it tell the teacher, if you are getting a divorce tell them! Tell them about anything that could potentially have an effect on your child!! They can help your child get through the issue with your help of course.

So make your list, be on time for the conference and don't be nervous! You will be brilliant. This meeting is for your child's benefit and yours. Enjoy it.

2 comments:

  1. Mik, thanks for the comment! I am thrilled to hear that there is at least one reader out there.

    ReplyDelete