Monday, December 14, 2009

E-Book Mania!!!

Last week was a pretty explosive week in publishing, well e-books to be exact. Simon & Schuster has become the first major publishing house to put into place a firm release date for its e-books—four months after publication of the hardcover, this is for books released from January-April.

The 35 titles scheduled to have a delayed e-book release are books that have either high print runs or high price points. An S&S spokesperson said the company believes that “this publishing sequence will benefit the performance of all the different formats in which these titles are published and, in the long term, will contribute to a healthier retail environment for the greater book buying public.”


Usually in today's market the hard backed format and the e-book format are released on the same day. It seems that times are changing. I feel that this publisher is trying to delay the growth of e-books. I seriously doubt if people will be willing to wait four months for an e-book version of a book when they can go out and by a hardback and not have to wait. I HATE waiting, and I'm sure a mass majority of people are the same. Then again people may not wait, and completely opt to purchase a different book based upon this delayed releasing of titles for e-book.

I'm not quite sure what the delay is for other than perhaps as a way to "poke" at Amazon.com for slashing prices, and in response to this delay they have slashed prices even more. The oddest part is that the publishers are still getting their cut in full, and amazon is the one taking the hit in the income. Perhaps this is Amazon.com's way of saying, "Sorry about those crazy publishers people! I swear it's not my fault your format is not released!"


Simon & Schuster was the first of officially state that they are delaying the releases of their titles, but once they did a flood gate opened. A Hachette Book Group and Harper Collins are doing pretty much the same thing. Hachette stated that they will be delaying a "wide selection of titles" in January and February. Harper Collins has plan.
In the first few months of 2010, HC will delay the release of five–10 books per month. But HC also plans to develop enhanced e-books for some of those titles and will publish the special e-books, which will have price points close to that of the hardcover, simultaneously with the print edition. The regular e-book will then be released at a later date. In addition, next year HC plans to test low price and free e-books to gauge consumer appetite for a variety of digital price points and formats.

So the questions that remains for me is this really going to work? True the publishers want people to buy the most expensive format, but now days it's all about meeting the consumer's needs and of course convince. I love a good hardback; the feel of it in your hands as you read, the feel of the paper as I turn the pages, and the fact that it can withstand several readings makes hardbacks a wonderful thing. As a consumer I realize that there are certain books that I will not pay the hardcover price for, like romance as an example. I sometimes feel the need for a good sexy highlander story, but I will NOT pay anywhere near $20 for one. That is madness, so I wait for a good paperback version to catch my eye. It's easier on my wallet and my purse, oh, and don't forget my already packed bookcases. There has been some wonderful books out there that was strictly published in hardback that I passed on because of the price point. I like a good bargin and I cannot afford to be fleeced, I mean really who can in this economy?

This decision that the publishers have made will either open up the e-book sales or send it to hell in a hand basket. This is a publisher's version of Mr. Toad's wild Ride. Simply replace motorcar mania with e-book mania. So let us put on our driving goggles and a good scarf and see where Mr. Toad will end up. Who knows, he may save Toad Hall after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment