Monday, July 27, 2009

Abridged VS Unabridged


Last week I posted that Barns and Noble was launching e-books, for more info on that check out that post, I have found that quite a few e-books and audio books are abridged. The defintion of "Abridged" is: (from Dictonary.com)

a⋅bridge  /əˈbrɪdʒ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [uh-brij] Show IPA
Use abridged in a Sentence
–verb (used with object), a⋅bridged, a⋅bridg⋅ing. 1. to shorten by omissions while retaining the basic contents: to abridge a reference book.
2. to reduce or lessen in duration, scope, authority, etc.; diminish; curtail: to abridge a visit; to abridge one's freedom.
3. to deprive; cut off.


Origin:
1350–1400; ME abreggen, abriggen < MF abreg(i)er < LL abbreviāre to shorten. See a- 4 , abbreviate

Related forms:

a⋅bridg⋅a⋅ble, a⋅bridge⋅a⋅ble, adjective
a⋅bridg⋅er, noun


Synonyms:
1. cut down; epitomize; condense, abstract, digest. See shorten. 2. contract, reduce. 3. divest.



I know that me personally will not purchase abridged books, eBook, audio or otherwise. I feel that if I am paying for the WHOLE book they should be able to provide the book in it's entirity. They may "omit" sections that they feel is unneeded, but actually they may make better the book for the reader. The author thought those details were important enough to include in the published work, that it gave the work some kind of boost in one direction or another. What gives the eBook publisher and audio book maker the right to take away from the audience, i.e. the consumer, the person or persons that keep the buissness in fact a buissness.

I have been reading Dan Simmons "Drood", it is a thrilling tale about Charles Dickens. It's has a twisting plot and enough mystery elements in it to make me wonder what will happen. I was trying to explain the book to my husband without throwing out any spoilers the other night and he said he would love to read it. The downside to the book is that is a large book. He would never find the time to readit. He is always on the look out for a new audio book, and "Drood" is abridged. Yuck. Unless they release an unabridged verison of it the audio book verison will never be included in our listening library saddly.

So in closing I am curious if other people buy only abridged works or unabridged titles? Does the title being abridged affect you purchasing it? Leave me a comment, I love to hear from my readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment