Tuesday, July 14, 2009

British Pamplet

Today has been a rough day for me. I am currently having issues with the TN DMV. Apparently a Social Security card and a Marriage Certificate does not mean I am a US citizen, or the fact that I have a Driver License. I am currently wishing a pox on the DMV lady.

I am intrigued by something I read on AOL. The British have published a sex education pamphlet that promotes pleasure in sex as well as making young adults and teenagers aware of STDS and HIV. The sex positive approach that is being used will hopefully encourage kids to put off being sexually active till they are ready to experience the pleasure that can come with sex. The pamphlet declares, "An orgasm a day keeps the doctor away," and questions why doctors don't commonly recommend "sex or masturbation twice a week" in addition to a healthy diet and physical activity.

In an online poll 55% of readers (on AOL) said that the pamphlet was inappropriate, leaving only 45% to say that it is appropriate.

I realize that many people are not open about sex and leave the sex education to the school system here in the states. I remember in the 5th grade going into a darkened classroom to watch an approved Sex ED video and being told not to wear a pad in the pool. The boys got to watch a video on volcanoes in the next room. Not fair huh?

As a parent of two small children I realize that sex is everywhere. I mean everywhere! Was it necessary in Spongbob the Movie to have Patrick wearing fishnets and heels? No. Did we need to see a lady on a trapeze topless wearing pasties in Coraline? NO. Did a transformer really need to have "balls"? No.

These are things that I have to guard my kids against. These are small incidents, but ones that are easily memorable to a child. I have told my boys the most basic information about their bodies for the moment. Things a child can handle and comprehend without overwhelming them or shocking them. They know all the proper names for their body parts and I am not ashamed when my 4 year old tells me his penis had a mind of it's own when he peed on his underwear by mistake. I am proud he said penis instead of some other slang term. I know some adults that can't say penis without blushing or stumbling over the word. (Penis, penis, penis, vagina, vagina, vagina!)

As a parent I realize that it is my RESPONSIBILITY to ensure that my boys are informed and are aware of their bodies and what can happen to it and what the consequences are of unprotected sex. I also it is my role to introduce them to the good side of sex. I don't want them to be scared stiff by myths and half-truths.

I didn't know anything about sex until I had it. There's always the stuff that your girlfriends tell you but that is mostly their impression of the act itself, which is not good a majority of the time. As soon as I realized that I was lacking in knowledge I began to ask questions and do research. That is something nobody should have to do when they have elders in their lives that can provide better and first hand knowledge.

Sex is not shameful. It is not. Sex is a natural act that we were designed to do. There are only two creatures on this earth that experiences pleasure during sex, that is us humans and dolphins. We SHOULD educate our young on the benefits of a healthy sex life, pass on tips and tricks and make them aware of the bad stuff as well. Introduce them to it in a calm and neutering environment and they will learn, and adapt to positive messages about sex .

I can't hardly wait for the day when me and my husband can tell our boys about the joys of sex and freedom that a marriage provides. It will be fun and will be a great memory. I want my boys to be able to ask me any question without embarrassment and shame. I say let the next sexual revolution begin! The sexual revolution of knowledge and education!

What are your thoughts on sexual education? Did you learn everything from your parents or from your own experiences? Would you want your child reading about sexual pleasures in a pamphlet from the government?

1 comment: