Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Who got a Book Deal???

This is a new segment called Who got a Book Deal??? This week's book deal has left me shaking my head a bit in a sad way.





Former Miss California Carrie Prejean has signed to do a book for conservative publisher Regnery called Still Standing. The title is scheduled for November 2009. This bit of news came out on the 20th.

The book is a tell all about the pageant, why she answered Prez Hilton's question the way she did and what led to her (in her point of view) loosing her crown to the runner up. This is a book that I feel does not need to be published.

I believe that Carrie Prejean has done enough damage without the aide of a memoir. Then again the book may be able to provide hours of entertainment. If your wondering what I think about gay marriage, I say we let them get married. They have just as much of right to lead a life that they enjoy and if that means marriage so be it. Everyone has the right to a family. That's all these people want, to be able to make their own way in the world and to have a family. I wonder how Ms. Prejean would feel if someone told her that she could never marry and have the family that she dreamed about? I bet we would find out in a book.






In other news Barnes & Noble made its long awaited entrance into the e-book market with an announcement late Monday afternoon of the launch of the Barnes & Noble eBookstore (www.bn.com/ebooks). In direct contrast to the closed Kindle system from Amazon, B&N’s e-bookstore will carry e-books that can be read on a wide variety of platforms. B&N will offer 700,000 titles at launch, with “many” new releases and bestsellers priced at $9.99, according to William Lynch, president of BN.com. The total includes 500,000 public domain titles from Google which can be downloaded for free. B&N added that it expects to have more than 1 million titles available within the next year, “inclusive of every available eBook from every book publisher and every available eBook original.”

The eBookstore will support the ePub standard in what Lynch called an "every device strategy." (In addition to the Kindle, the store will not be compatible with the Sony eReader). The eBookstore will feature Fictionwise's eReader application which supports both wireless and wired access to the store for such devices as the iPhone and iPod Touch. B&N acquired Fictionwise earlier this year.

I know like a lot of people out there have been waiting to see which seller would go face to face with Amazon.com for eBooks. I can't wait to see how well it takes off, and I am very excited that they will cater to more than device. I mean really who has the money to throw around for a new kindle? I know that I don't, but for those out there with the iPhone and iTouch this is some exciting stuff. I do wonder if the Barns and Noble membership will also apply for eBooks? I guess that will be a wait and see. I am a bit confused about the Sony eReader, I was actually thinking on getting one of them. If it's only compatible for Amazon.com I may not be getting one after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment